Re: How does setup.exe handle duplicate files?

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 11:46:29PM +0200, Heribert Dahms wrote:
>are there valid reasons to have duplicates in the first place?  This
>isn't Win* where everything is just dumped to system32! Are we speaking
>about installing a single package or multiple?  I consider a given
>package having duplicates in itself buggy.  My definition of a package
>is that several of them are distinct, othogonal sets of files, so there
>also shouldn't be duplicates across packages.  Am I missing something
>basic here?

The discussion started, I believe, when someone noticed that the same
files are in both the gdb and tcl/tk packages.  Since the setup.exe
program is not yet smart enough to understand dependencies we need
to make sure that gdb has everything it needs to operate, which means
including tcl/tk with it.

This is the usual reason for duplication although an equally valid reason
is that sometimes it is hard to separate files from packages.  The
standard "make install" method for installing things does not serve
the purpose of producing isolated packages very well.

cgf