Re: naive question: gcc and glibc

I suppose it would be a large project to port glibc to cygwin.  Probably
not even advisable to do the whole thing, as long as cygnus/redhat are
maintaining newlib partly for this application.  I'd be happy to tackle
certain parts in which I have an interest, if suitably motivated.  The
ieeefp thing looks feasible.  There, I suppose we want to have the
functions both under the names they have in glibc and the ones currently
in the cygwin headers.  As we would likely end up with an add-on library
which simply fits glibc components into cygwin, it's unlikely to be
adopted as part of cygwin or newlib.

The subject of math functions and bringing x87 support into cygwin has
been brought up before.  It has the same problem, apparently, of not
being acceptable to newlib and therefore not wanted as a standard part
of cygwin.  I hope I'm not mis-characterizing what was said, and
actually I'd be happy to be wrong.

I have some disagreements with glibc as well in the way long double is
done half way in some of the math functions, so there I'd want it done
better, not totally in a compatible fashion.  I've been running a
<mathinline.h> in cygwin for some time, and I like that scheme, if it's
not carried too far.  The attitude in both glibc and gcc development is
that options like -ffast-math and <mathinline.h> are intended for
maximum speed with no care for accuracy or protection against crashes,
and I'm not the only one to say that this makes those options unusable.
I will say that -ffast-math has improved greatly, that the problems
haven't been igmored.

Tim Prince