Re: Compiling in source trees

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 10:11:00PM +0200, Gilles-Claude Rajaobelina wrote:
>Sorry if subject has already been discussed and closed here, as I am
>new to the list.  Am I wrong if I say that compiling in source tree
>SHOULD ALSO work?  Obviously it doesnt work for winsup.  In fact I
>never - as possible - compile in source trees, instead I use the lndir
>command to produce an image of the source tree and build there
>(remember most X packages are recommended to use this scheme).

We do not recommend building in the same directory as the source, no.  It
may work for winsup but it does not work for newlib.

You don't have to make symbolic links.  You just have to do something like:

    mkdir build
    cd build
    sh /path/to/source/configure
    make

>Why make simple as complicated is so much funnier :))

Oh, we just love to screw you up and mess with your mind.  Didn't you
know that?

cgf