Re: instalation in other than c:\

> > However there is one major catch with this. If you put the registry
> > keys under HKLM, on Windows 2000 you need Administrator privledges to
> > be able to access that registry tree. I did an install to the system
> > on my box, and both the Administrator and KendallB accounts worked
> > fine, but regular users did not see the registry settings!
>
>Can a non-priviledged user read HKLM with regtool or regedit?  If so,
>we might just be reading the registry with the wrong requested
>permissiong (rw vs ro) in cygwin.

Absolutely. In NT and W2K, everyone has at least read access to HKLM by
default,  except for HKLM/SECURITY. There is no default restriction on the
method of access (Regedit, Regedt32, NT reskit tools...) although some
administrators may remove user access to some of the tools.

André Bleau, ing., analyste
bleau@courriel.polymtl.ca

Département de génie électrique et         Electric Engineering and
de génie informatique                      Computer Engineering department
École Polytechnique de Montréal            Montreal Polytechnic School