Re: ssh-agent, ntsec, and tmp permissions

"Joseph M. Reagle Jr." wrote:
> Unfortunately, I'm still having difficulties with the persmissions, and [1]
> has me rather confused. I've reinstalled the whole thing, seem to have most
> things working, but when I go to install perl, openssl, and openssh, the
> result of the tar is that I'm don't have the permission to copy files to
> those directories. I'm sitting at home, on my laptop, as W3C\reagle but I
> can't see that domain right now. So I expect the following applies [1]:
>
>         If an NT user has one account as domain user and another
>         account on his local machine, this accounts are under any
>         circumstances DIFFERENT, regardless of the usage of the same
>         user name and password!
>
> Most of the filye system is:
>         drwxrwxrwx   4 administ None         4096 Jul 27 14:45 etc/
>
> which isn't surpising given [1]:
>         If your login is member of the administrators' group:
>         rwxrwxrwx 1  544  513  ... foo
>
>  I suspect the following applies to me [1]:
>
>         Unfortunately, workstations and servers outside of domains
>         are not able to set primary groups! In these cases, where
>         there is no correlation of users to primary groups, NT returns
>          513 (None) as primary group, regardless of the membership
>         to existing local groups.
>
>         when using mkpasswd -l -g on such systems, you have to
>         change the primary group by hand if `None' as primary group is
>         not what you want (and I'm sure, it's not what you want!)

Your description is completely correct so I assume you're on the
way to understand NT security (which is a long way. Personally I
still have leaks and I'm managing ntsec since January 1999).

> But I don't know what this means (change the primary group by hand)? This
> page [1] is slowly becoming useful to me as I read the exposition over and
> over, but I'm wishing for something along the lines of, if you want to do X,
> do Y. If you can't do Z, do A, etc.

This isn't that easy:

- I hate writing documentation.
- I would gladly appreciate a FAQ for ntsec but this should be written
  by somebody who doesn't look from the programmers point of view.
  I tend to wallow in technical details.

David? Are you listening?

> What exactly do I do, edit the /etc/{passwd,group} file? Use NT to change
> the owner/permissions of the files? Use cygwin chown to do the same?

Imagine your NT user account is member of the local group `users'
then you may change /etc/passwd so that your primary group
membership is set to `users' in Cygwin. Now try a `touch foo'
and `ls -l foo' and you will see what you want:

         rwxrwxrwx 1  administrator  users  ... foo

Note that this is only done that way when using Cygwin tools,
obviously.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.