Commandline clipping

I've got a very long variable in make that I need to feed as parameter to a
program, but the program doesn't receive the whole line, and thus produces
the incorrect output. The command is echoed completely though. The result is
the same in both Win2k and Win95.

# Example makefile:

BIGVAR := lots of text going on forever

target:
	tool.exe ${BIGVAR}

# The commandline is properly echoed when run, but the arguments are not
sent.

target2:
	echo a; tool.exe ${BIGVAR}; echo b

# The whole line is echoed, up to the 'b', but the command 'echo b' is never
executed.

Does anyone know? (I'm running the latest version of cygwin, bash and make,
but it's been like this in all older versions I've tried aswell)

/axl