Re: libodbccp32.a

Neil Lunn wrote:

> >It's not the 'newest binutils prerelease' anymore -- it's the newest
> >official cygwin release of binutils: binutils-20000722-1.
> >
> >To link, add these flags: '-L/cygdrive/<SYSTEMDRIVE>/WINNT/system
> >-lodbccp32'
> >
> >Hope it works.
> >
> >--Chuck
>
> It wouldn't appear to be working!
>
> I tried this out with trying to build the DBD::ODBC extention for Perl.
> After numerous hacks at the Makefile.PL (missing reference to windows.h) and
> even perl.h (scary, no cygwin! and a reference to win32.h that doesn't
> exist) I just get the great big list of undefined symbols.
>
> Chuck, have you tried this and had better luck.

No, I haven't tried to link to the 'regular' windows dll's. However, it
appears that all of your missing symbols are defined, complete with @N
decorations, in /usr/lib/libodbc32.a (the import lib).

> Be good to get this to work.

Sure. But I dunno how -- and my system isn't setup for building perl
modules just now. Eric, do you have any ideas?

I found out the following, though: on my NT system, I have the following
libraries:
  odbccp32.dll
  odbccr32.dll
  odbcjt32.dll

It's 'odbcjt32.dll' that contains the symbols you're looking for.

On my W2K system, I have the following:

  odbc16gt.dll
  odbc32.dll
  odbc32gt.dll
  odbcbcp.dll
  odbcconf.dll
  odbccp32.dll
  odbccr32.dll
  odbccu32.dll
  odbcint.dll
  odbcji32.dll
  odbcjt32.dll
  odbctrac.dll
  sqlsodbc.dll
  vfpodbc.dll

At least, odbc32.dll *AND* odbcjt32.dll both contain the symbols you're
looking for. (Possibly there are others; use 'objdump -x My.dll' and
look in the '[Ordinal/Name Pointer] Table')

I do not know which of these dll's you *really* need to use. I'd imagine
you'll need to do some investigating at support.microsoft.com.  I
suspect that you want to install odbc32.dll on your system, so that
linking to libodbc32.a 'does the right thing'.

> Makefiles and DOCS for DBD::ODBC could do with a cleanup.

Yup; however, perl module makefiles are usually generated by MakeMaker
-- so they're not too concerned about how 'pretty' they are.

--Chuck