Re: Cygwin screwing up permissions

Jonas Jensen wrote:
> I just reformatted my hard disks for NTFS, so I thought I'd go for full UNIX
> FS emulation with ntea and ntsec. It appears to work right, but when
> entering the security tab of files that have been used by Cygwin, I get the
> following error box:
>
> "The permissions on MYFILE are incorrectly ordered, which may cause some
> entries to be ineffective.  Press OK to continue and sort the permissions
> correctly, or Cancel to reset the permissions."

That's a result of a specific setting you tried with chmod.
I suggest reading the ntsec chapter in the online documentation

	http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/docs.html

especially the chapter about the `mapping leak'.
The ability to create such settings which aren't supported
by the Windows GUI are a intended design decision. However,
note that such ACL's are correctly identified by the NT/W2K
kernel, it's only the GUI which lacks support.

> My $CYGWIN is "ntea binmode ntsec tty title", and I'm on Win2k.

There's no need to use ntea if ntsec is on. ntea is only an
emulation of UNIX permissions which are completely opaque
against native Windows apps.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.