Re: cygwin-1.1.4: problems with remote commands

norbert.bladt@usa.net wrote:

> Ralf Fassel wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > experimenting with the ssh 2.1.1p4-2 daemon on Windows NT (SP6).  sshd
> > runs fine for interactive logins, except:
> >
> > - the `net use' command is not able to read a password.  First time it
> >   prompts for the password, hangs a short while, then aborts with
> >     'Systemfehler 86 aufgetreten.'  (System Error 86)

The reason here is that it's a windows tool. Don't know how they
read a password but they seem to rely on specific console properties.
I had that problem as well when trying to use Oracle's sqlplus command
line tool.

> >   Same behaviour for sessions opened via telnetd and rshd.
> >
> > - using ssh, I am not able to see the output of remote commands in my
> >   UNIX xterm.
> >
> >      % ssh nt-host ls
> This works for me.
> Either you
>         - are using the ls from the Resource Kit or
>         - have no home directory defined or it doesn't exist.
>
> But the rest of your observation seems to be right.
> In our environment we do start, stop and/or restart services
> an this doesn't give any output on the UNIX side either.

You're right. I can reproduce that for telnet sessions.

However, that is not what I'm expecting in ssh sessions:

cygbert, my Linux box, is running an X-Server.
cvaio is my W2K box. I'm running sshd on that box as a service
started as user "corinna", to be able to login via RSA and
without password.
My Windows system environment contains
  CYGWIN="binmode tty ntsec"
  PATH="...;D:\Cygwin\bin"
and my Windows user environment contains
  HOME="D:\home\corinna"
which is needed to be able to start tcsh from scrash.

Now, imagine I have started "xterm -e slogin cvaio" on cygbert.
In that session I can do the following with expected output:

=============== SNIP ===============
/home/corinna[1]$ net start inetd
The CYGWIN inetd service is starting.
The CYGWIN inetd service was started successfully.

/home/corinna[2]$ net
The syntax of this command is:

NET [ ACCOUNTS | COMPUTER | CONFIG | CONTINUE | FILE | GROUP | HELP |
      HELPMSG | LOCALGROUP | NAME | PAUSE | PRINT | SEND | SESSION |
      SHARE | START | STATISTICS | STOP | TIME | USE | USER | VIEW ]

/home/corinna[3]$ net use X: \\\\cygbert\\corinna password /user:corinna
The command completed successfully.

/home/corinna[4]$ net use X: /delete
X: was deleted successfully.

Corinna