Re: cygwin modifies path: problems in NTEmacs shell buffer

Are you normally running the cygwin.bat file to run cygwin?

The cygwin.bat file adds those extra entries to your path for
normal operation, but is not invoked by emacs when running bash.

I'd suggest adding those entries to your NT path so that you can
use cygwin utilities whenever you want. That would mean running
bash.exe intead of cygwin.bat for normal cygwin use.

Adam Schlegel

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 02:38:17PM +0000, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when upgrading from B20.1 to the latest net release I noticed a change
> in how the PATH is handled. It appears to me that Cygwin (I say Cygwin
> because I don't know where this exactly happens - bash or
> cygwin1.dll?) automagically prepends /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin to
> the path. This is basically fine but for some reason does not work if
> I use bash as a shell in NTEmacs.
>
> My NT path in a NT command line window looks as follows, using the
> command "path":
> <NT stuff>;d:\cygwin\bin
>
> The latter is necessary to find bash in the first place.
>
> If I now start bash from this command line window with bash -login -i
> and run "echo $PATH", I get:
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:<NT stuff>:/cygdrive/d/user/mhoen/scripts
>
> Cygwin prepends the first three entries. I replace the d:\cygwin\bin
> entry of my NT path with /user/mhoen/scripts in my .bashrc. I don't
> need the scripts outside of bash, and I can remove d:\cygwin\bin as
> this would simply duplicate what Cygwin prepends anyway.
>
> If I now start bash in an NTEmacs shell buffer, the path looks
> different:
> <NT stuff>:/cygdrive/d/user/mhoen/scripts
>
> That means my .bashrc is read correctly, but Cygwin fails to add
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin.
>
> I use the following settings in my _emacs:
>
> ; try to use bash as the default shell
> (setq shell-file-name "bash")
> (setenv "SHELL" shell-file-name)
> (setq explicit-shell-file-name shell-file-name)
> (setq explicit-shell-args '("-login" "-i"))
> (setq shell-command-switch "-c")
> (setq w32-quote-process-args t)
> (defun bash ()
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((binary-process-input t)
>         (binary-process-output nil))
>     (shell)))
>
> (setq process-coding-system-alist (cons '("bash" . (raw-text-dos . raw-text-unix))
> 					process-coding-system-alist))
>
> (require 'cygwin32-mount)
>
> i.e. this will also run bash -login -i.
>
> I could certainly just add the missing paths in my .bashrc, but this
> would mean that I have three duplicate paths in my command line bash
> sessions.
>
> Any ideas how to rectify this?
>
> Markus
>
> --
> Markus Hoenicka, PhD
> UT Houston Medical School
> Dept. of Integrative Biology and Pharmacology
> 6431 Fannin MSB4.114
> Houston, TX 77030
> (713) 500-6313, -7477
> (713) 500-7444 (fax)
> Markus.Hoenicka@uth.tmc.edu
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hoenicka_markus/
>

> --

"Whenever I type any code I never have any bugs. I never have
any syntax errors. These fingers are like gold. And if you
believe that, I have some other stuff I can sell you."
	T. Vasiga, CS 241