processor high use in cygwin 1.1.4 or bash

I've noticed that when I run a Windows application via bash in the
background (ie putty &) that once the program exits csrss.exe and bash.exe
each consume roughly 50% of the processor according to task manager until I
press the return key in the bash window and get the "[1] Done
putty" message.

However, not to let anyone just blow this off as a Windows app problem, the
same thing happens when I run "gdb &" and exit gdb but do not press return
or do something else in the bash window... bash and csrss do the same thing
again, together consuming all of the available processor.

Brian