installation woes

Hi,

Sorry to bother you but having used B-20 for some time I have decided to get up to date.  I removed B-20 as completely as I can and downloaded  the following from your site:

ash-20000627_tar.gz
bash-2_04-1_tar.gz
binutils-20000722-1_tar.gz
crypt-1_0_tar.gz
cygwin-1_1_4_tar.gz
cygwin.bat
cygwin.ico
dejagnu_tar.gz
diff_tar.gz
expect_tar.gz
fileutils_tar.gz
findutils_tar.gz
flex_tar.gz
gawk-3_0_4_tar.gz
gdb-20000610_tar.gz
gperf_tar.gz
grep_tar.gz
gzip_tar.gz
inetutils-1_3_2-6_tar.gz
less_tar.gz
login-1_4-1_tar.gz
man-1_5g-2_tar.gz
mt-1_9_1_tar.gz
old-setup.exe
opengl-1_2_1-1_tar.gz
patch_tar.gz
sed-3_02-1_tar.gz
setup.exe
setup.log
shellutils_tar.gz
tar_tar.gz
tcltk-20000610_tar.gz
termcap-20000630_tar.gz
texinfo_tar.gz
textutils-2_0-1_tar.gz
time_tar.gz
vim-5_7-4_tar.gz

When I run setup against *.gz files in the current directory the response is that nothing needs to be installed:

Attempts at installing from the network always fail with no information.  The window merely collapses after designating the install root directory.

What is meant by IE5 settings?  If this is a reference to Internet Explorer what about Netscape useres?

Running old-setup complains about being unable to decompress cygwin1.dll although it appearred to actually install things once.

Manually untaring all the *.gz files seems to work but does noyhing about providing uninstall options, desktop setup, etc.  Also runninng inetd --install-as-service seems to actually install as a service but so far attempts to telnet or ftp in always fail with "connection refused" messages.

Any help will be appreciated.

--
Roger Wells, P.E.
SAIC