Re: setting TERM=cygwin in non-cygwin unix [Was: Re: A bit OT: vi intelnet session]

David Starks-Browning wrote:

> The Cygwin FAQ is not a UNIX primer.

I agree.

> However, given that the default TERM=cygwin is unlikely to be known
> on most other UNIX systems, it probably merits an entry.

As a datapoint, rxvt tells you how to do this in its documentation.  The
authors realized that a significant number of users won't just happen to
know what to do without a little help.  I don't see that as being too
different from the cygwin terminal description.  Actually, cygwin is a
little more obtuse because the recommended thing is not to set TERM.

> BTW, pointers to UNIX primers might indeed be good FAQ fodder.

Probably a good idea.  Or at least a section telling people to look in
the man/info pages before asking on the list.  But in this case, the
answer is as simple as "man term" on the two platforms I just tried.
Given an appropriatly worded section in the FAQ (and if I knew enough to
look at the FAQ), I'd feel pretty silly if I asked in a public forum how
to find documentation about my term without first trying "man term".
Now, "I tried `man term' but it was too much for me to digest" is another
matter--my opion would depend on your level of experience and wether or
not the FAQ points to unix primers.

Feel free to use my earlier email or derive from it to write a FAQ entry,
if you feel it's appropriate.

-jeff