Cygwin PERL utility - Can it access COM1/Com2 under WinNT?

Dear Cygwin guys,
     I just read your section in
http://wntweb2.ethz.ch/ActivePerl/perltoc.html
and was looking for an answer to the following question. We are adept at LAN
comminucation over sockets
from our PC, under LINUX, but recently have had the need to communicate
directly to COM1/COM2 ports
under WinNT (or MS-DOS, if need be).

We were wondering if there is an equivalent set of PERL commands for
accessing the COM ports like there
are for sockets (e.g. socket, connect, accept, bind, select, send, read,
etc).

Or do we just say:

open(COM1,"COM1");
then
print COM1 "Hello!";         to write, and

$data = <COM1>;           to read?

Please let me know if you can answer or refer our question. Thanks.

Steve Cutcomb
Kestrel Solutions, Test Automation Team
Mountain View, CA 94040