Re: Bug Report: CVS often fails in scripts under Cygwin

Josh Schulte wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> Have you written any scripts using cvs? Can you verify this on your setup?
> It may take a couple of different approaches because not every cvs command
> will give the
> "permission denied". Some scripts work just fine.

No, I only use cvs manually.  Also, since I only use it for "personal"
projects on my own machine -- not shared projects -- I don't use
'reserved checkouts' (e.g. cvs watch, cvs edit, cvs unedit, etc).

> Another guy here at work gets the same results. So if you or someone else is
> not getting this problem, then it is probably something we have setup in our
> environment.

Okay, I set up a test repository 'foo' with one file.  Seems to work
fine here.

mkdir foo
cd foo
touch build.txt
cvs import -m "test module" foo foo_1 foo_1_00
cd ..
cvs watch on
rm -rf foo
cvs checkout foo
cd foo

---- Okay, so module foo has one empty file called "build.txt". Now,
create the following script (use /bin/sh -x so we can trace execution)

--- 'test' ----
#!/bin/sh -x
cvs edit build.txt
echo "test" $1 > build.txt
cvs commit -m "test" build.txt
cvs unedit build.txt
--- 'test' ----

chmod +x test
./test 1

---output is----
+ cvs edit build.txt
+ echo test 1
+ cvs commit -m test build.txt
Checking in build.txt;
/e/Users/cwilson/.cvsroot/foo/build.txt,v  <--  build.txt
done
+ cvs unedit build.txt

Notes: running under WinNT, repository and checkout dir are both on NTFS
drives.  Looks like your problem is somehow related to your setup. :-(

--Chuck