[BASH] Backtick problem still NOTsolved!! (Win95b/CW1.1.4)

Hi,

after trying and trying, I MUST be sure this _is_ a bug in Cygwin!!

Despite trying all the things I read here, the problem PERSISTS!

 - Win95 b (and NOT WindowsNT, where Joerg Schaible reported that it
*does*work there,
 so it's a Win9x-only (Win95-only?) problem!)
 - Cygwin 1.1.4
 - GERMAN Keyboard layout

The "backtick" is the key that's used for executing commands in a shell
script.
It works on the dos editor EDIT.COM, but it doesn't work on the cygwin
bash command line!!!

But to test a one-liner, I'd *like* to test it on the command-line first!

administrator@DEFAULT $ ls-al `which bash`
requires backticks and DOESN'T WORK!
(Well I do know that you can also do it by $(     ) but I want to get my
backticks
working finally, damnit.)

So what I need to do instead?
-> Launch EDIT.COM
#!/bin/sh
ls-al `which bash`

save as ... say "temp".

administrator@DEFAULT $ ./temp
-rwxr-xr-x    1    administ    unknown     466944   Jun 2    00:50
/bin/bash

Somewhat awkward, but what the hell should I do if everybody says "it's
already solved". It's NOT.

2)  Read http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/cygwin-ug-net/setup-files.html

3) Made aware that I'm not a beginner and I do know I need to press SPACE
after a "dead-key". ;)
4) Created .inputrc with the settings described there (2).
5) Verified that .inputrc does only contain LF's and no CR/LF pairs.
6) Put .inputrc in /home/administrator.

7) RESTART CYGWIN  .... and .... surprise, surprise...
8) Typed  <SHIFT-accent><SPACE>  --- No backticks despite pressing space!

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Umlauts work - but no backticks!
++++++++++++++++++++++++

And what is bash without  the backtick?

In EDIT.COM I can get a "French e accent aigu" (é)
in bash I cannot!!

So don't tell me this works.
And I'm talking about  W  i  n  d  o  w  s     9 5  b   and not WinNT!
So please don't tell me it works in WinNT - I believe you but it's no use
for me!
I only want _Win9x_ users to report if it works with a German keyboard!

Heck, this needs a fix!

/Please/.

Andreas