Re: /etc/profile in BASH

--- Erik Nolte <enolte@campuspipeline.com> wrote:
> > > I didn't realize that a login BASH doesn't execute ~/.bashrc.  Be that
> as it
> > > may, I think it should be the decision of ~/.bash_profile (or
> ~/.profile)
> > > whether to execute ~/.bashrc -- *NOT* /etc/profile.  Putting this into
> > > /etc/profile makes it too BASH-centric.  What about the [T]CSH users?
> Also,
> > > what about ~/.bash_login files (as described in the MAN page)?
> > >

> > IIRC [t]csh doesn't user /etc/profile.  Use the source, Luke. (tm)
>
> But sh and ksh do.  I don't want my sh's executing .bashrc and failing on
> things like alias and 'export var=..."

Uhm, only if they are executing the login code.  AFAICT there isn't a way to do
that in Cygwin with the provided sh (except for maybe renaming it as -sh).  As
for ksh I don't have the source for it but you would have to make it think it
were in login state for it to even look at /etc/profile or ~/.profile.  Those
files only get executed when the shell is used for "login".

That being said, as system admin you may change it to whatever you wish.  You
can even supply patches to the sources that create /etc/profile.  They will be
considered if they are appropriate patches.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd
mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com