Re: A standard bug-reporting program for cygwin

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 05:37:48PM -0400, David A. Cobb wrote:
>Is there a good technical reason why an existing open-source system,
>such as Bugzilla, is inappropriate?

Probably because if something like that was set up, only Earnie Boyd and
I would subscribe to it and we'd get even more cranky answering all of
the questions than we already are. :-)

IMO, 99% of the "bugs" that are reported here are really cockpit errors.
I tremble at the thought of actually setting up something like GNATS or
BugZilla for this project.  We'd be swamped with "syntax error before
'foo'" and "I can't build a DLL" "bugs".

This is speculation, of course, but I do have the experience of seeing
exactly this on the Cygwin to-do list.  People try to use this as a bug
reporting utility or to ask for improvements to apache.  I suspect that
setting up a "bug tracking" system for cygwin would be very similar.

That's why I'd like the "bugs" to come here, where the collective
knowledge can be used to answer questions without going through the due
diligence of a bug tracking system.

Who knows, though.  If this works out maybe we could set up a cygwin bug
tracking system, too.

cgf