Low performance on select().

 Hi everybody,
I have a server and a client that I'm using to test socket performance on
Cygwin; the former uses the select() system call to poll open socket file
descriptors.
 When used under Cygwin on Windows 2000, CPU usage rapidly jumps up to 100%
and the system bogs down on growing the number of clients connected.
 The same client/server test on Linux is almost two orders of magnitude more
efficient, CPU reaches 100% when the server is concurrently answering to 50
test clients.
 Another strange thing is that after opening more than 32 socket file
descriptor the server freezes.
 The question is: are these two facts true, i.e. is select() on Win2K so
inefficient, and is 32 open file descriptors a hard limit?
 Thanks in advance for your answer.

Antonio Tringali