Re: XEmacs on cygwin wierdness

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 02:39:00AM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>"Charles S. Wilson" wrote:
>>
>> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> >
>> > The more I think about this, the more I think that your stack trace
>> > should actually be impossible.  It looks like a pointer that should be
>> > zero isn't.  Out of curiousity, does the patch below cause any
>> > difference?
>>
>> Yes, that fixes it.  Now I can run xemacs (without recompiling *it*)
>> from cmd.exe or from bash.  No problems. However, obviously there is
>> something wacky going on with xemacs; unfortunately, I don't understand
>> the wacky structure of xemacs.exe well enough to debug it
>> authoritatively.
>>
>> I'll give it a shot and report back....
>
>Well, I'm not sure why, but I can't single-step XEmacs and gdb doesn't
>recognize any breakpoints prior to the bomb.  I can only "run" and then
>investigate after the crash.

That sounds like Xemacs is either forking or execing a new process.  That
would also explain why main_environ had "stuff" in it but now why environment
handling was getting confused.

Was there any further resolution on this, Chuck?  One other thing you can do
is 'set CYGWIN=error_start_init=x:\path\to\gdb.exe' to have cygwin start gdb
automatically when an error occurs.

cgf