Re: binary mode from non-Cygwin shells?

--- Antony Courtney <antony@apocalypse.org> wrote:

> However, if I run the same command from the Windows "Command Prompt"
> (command.com), I see:
>
> d:\users\antony>echo hello |od -c
> 0000000000     h   e   l   l   o      \r  \n
> 0000000010
>
> which seems to be inconsistent with the User's Guide.  The User's Guide
> (http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/cygwin-ug-net/using-textbinary.html)
> states:
>
> 	[...] Non-Cygwin shells always pipe and redirect with binary mode.
>
> I can, of course, do a "set CYGWIN=binmode" from within the "Command Prompt",
> and then I'll get the same output from the Command Prompt as I do from bash,
> but
> that's a somewhat clumsy solution (particulary for the case I'm interested in
> --
> a non-Cygwin Windows application spawning Cygwin's OpenSSH ssh client using
> ordinary Win32 API calls).
>
> Any thoughts?  Is this a bug in Cygwin, a bug in the User's Guide, or am I
> just confused?

You're confused.  Echo is a shell builtin even for command.com.  Command.com is
writing the output in text mode and od is reading the input in binary mode.
You will find that if you set CYGWIN=nobinmode before executing your
command.com example od will read in text mode and the \r will be eliminated.
Or, if you use the echo executable found in the Cygwin/bin directory instead of
the shell builtin the \r will not be written.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd
mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com