Re: failure to build Tcl8.3.2 by Cygwin on Win98

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> --- Mo DeJong <mdejong@cygnus.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Mitsuo Igarashi wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying to build Tcl8.3.2 in Cygwin 1.1.4
> > > on Windows98 for my trainig. I am not sure that to
> > > post this here is appropriate.
> > >
> > > The Readme of the directory of Win of the Tcl8.3.2
> > > writes only building by MS C. From the Makefile.in of
> > > the directory. I think Cygwin can build this.
> >
> > Tcl 8.3.2 does not build with Cygwin's gcc.
> -8<-
>
> There should be no reason that Cygwin's gcc is different from MinGW's gcc in
> building tcl.  It was a miss configure-ation.  If you can state specifics
> please do so.

Sure, it should work but it don't. Compiling with Cygwin's gcc
with the -mno-cygwin switch does currently work the same way
as the mingw gcc, at least for this one package.

> > When the Tcl 8.4 release is finished,
> > it should work with Cygwin.
> >

> Cool.  BTW, the unix version of both tcl and tk build with Cygwin now.

I assume you are talking about one of the ports on the
sourceware site? The current release (8.3.2) of Tcl/Tk
does not compile "out of the box" with Cygwin. I am
very interested in getting the fixes needed to
compile Tcl under Cygwin into the 8.4 release.
It should not be all that hard, it looks like
some problems with MS specific #includes and
use of __try which cygwin does not like.

cheers
Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc