configure dies a horrible death

I'm running Cygwin 1.6 under WinNT 4.0, SP 4.

Configure scripts die a horrible and painful death before they write to
the cache, which means they must be rerun from scratch, whereupon they
fail meaning . . .

Before I ask everyone to read all ten thousand lines of the cygcheck
dump, are there any known issues with configure scripts under WinNT?

I've run the same scripts under Win95 and they've worked, which is why
I'm inclined to believe it's a WinNT thing.

Thanks

Charles