Re: CVS permissions problem with network drive

I'm not sure how NTSEC/noNTSEC permissions and SAMBA interact.  My short
tests show that I can create and delete files and directories on a *SMB*
share (hosted on WinNT, not a SAMBA share hosted on linux/unix/etc).

However, even in my tests, these files and directories are created
read-only, and chmod fails. (Yet I can still delete the
files/directories).

$ cd //host/share
$ umask
002

# FILES

$ touch foo
$ ld -l foo
-r--r--r--   1 1002     None            0 Dec 12 15:21 foo
$ chmod +w foo
chmod: foo: Permission denied
$ chmod 666 foo
chmod: foo: Permission denied
$ rm foo
$ ls -l foo
ls: foo: No such file or directory

# DIRECTORIES

$ mkdir foo
$ ls -ld foo
dr-xr-xr-x   1 1002     None            0 Dec 12 15:19 foo
$ chmod +w foo
chmod: foo: Permission denied
$ chmod 777 foo
chmod: foo: Permission denied
$ cd foo
$ touch bar
touch: bar: Permission denied
$ cd //host/share
$ rmdir foo
$ ls -l foo
ls: foo: No such file or directory

Since even in these simple cases, permissions and 'writeability' fails
on SMB shares, I am not surprised that CVS also fails on SMB shares.

Corinna, oh-expert-of-all-that-is-nt-security, can you shed some light
on this situation?  I've hunted around in the docs but can't seem to
find anything related to SMB, other than the symlink issue.

--Chuck