From: Christopher Faylor [mailto:cgf@redhat.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2001 12:16 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Questions about Cygwin's setup...

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 12:04:30PM -0800, Masterson, Dave wrote:
>Oh.  Yeah, I could do that, but it seems to be a bit of overkill.  I mean I
>think the steps you are suggesting are:
>
>* Wget automatically mirrors *.tar.gz files from sources.redhat.com (or
>mirror).
>
>* I occassionally use Setup.exe to unpackage the new *.tar.gz's and update
>my central area.
>
>It would seem that it would be just as easy to use Setup for both steps...?

As DJ has indicated, it is not easy to have an executable update itself in
Windows.

Earnie's method will work.  Since setup.exe requires human intervention
to run, you really don't have a choice as far as automating anything is
concerned.

Unless you are willing to make the modifications to setup.exe yourself,
speculating on what "would be nice" is not going to get your problem
solved.

cgf