Re: Interesting words from gcc.info

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 07:06:01AM -0600, Vince Rice wrote:
><rofl>  No, they're not.  I see four things mentioned:
>1.  See if the problem you have is already known (search archives, etc.).
>2.  If it's not known, report it.
>3.  The maintainers aren't bound to respond to your email.
>4.  If it is in fact a bug, the maintainers will make an attempt to fix it
>and send you the patch to see if it works.
>
>This list is more like:
>1.  Hey, is this a bug? (meanwhile, fourteen other people last week all said
>"Hey, is this a bug?")
>2.  The maintainers *are* bound to respond to your email -- "Hey moron, read
>the FAQ, read the archives, and send us a patch!"

Actually, in a fairly large percentage of cases the maintainer will
respond and try to help.  This is, in fact, one of the most helpful
lists I've ever seen.

Posting patches for cygwin fixes would not work well here since it would
actually likely cause epileptic seizures in some of the "newbies", so
instead we have nightly snapshots.

cgf