Re: ScanMail Message: To Sender, virus found and action taken.

Yes, lame.  But understandable, in today's somewhat paranoid environment, particularly with the registry involved.  I suspect somebody configured automatic scanners to look
for certain things, and included registry files as an item to exclude.  So the list may be seeing more of this as the message propagates.

Maybe posting the file to the ftp site for download rather than emailing?  Maybe just changing the name so it doesn't have the reg extension?  I doubt anyone can convince
their NT SysAdmins to change their mail filter configs ;-(

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> This is really INCREDIBLY LAME.  The attachment was NOT A VIRUS.
>
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 11:13:54AM -0500, System Attendant wrote:
> >ScanMail for Microsoft Exchange has blocked a file attachment(s).
> >
> >Place = cygwin@cygwin.com
> >Sender = Christopher Faylor
> >Subject = Workaround for heap errors in 1.1.8/Windows 9x
> >Delivery Time = January 31, 2001 (Wednesday) 11:13:54
> >
> >Action on file attachment(s):
> >
> >Message from recipient's administrator:
> >Warning to sender. ScanMail detected a virus in an email attachment you
> >sent.
>
> --
> cgf@cygnus.com                        Red Hat, Inc.
> http://sources.redhat.com/            http://www.redhat.com/