Re: Problem w/ cygwin tar.exe: Unable to tar directoriesbeginnin g w/ the letter 'R' in NT 4.0

"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:

> >Oops.  No, I didn't get you.  You're seeing an echo feature.  It looks like
> >cygwin is probably doing the right thing.  echo is translating \t to a tab.
> >I don't believe that cygwin would do this.
> >
> >The easiest way to check is to write a simple c program which displays its
> >arguments.  This will bypass any echo trickery.
>
> Right.  Looks like its not globbing trickery.  A small program prints out
> the arguments exactly as they're typed.  However, the same trickery
> that echo uses appears to be what's affecting tar.  So far I've noticed
> "bad" behavior in both with \t, \r, and \n.  In echo, this is a "feature"
> I'm sure but in tar, I'd say its a bug.  I'm back to thinking the issue is
> with tar...

Bug?!?!  The real bug is this thread.  I consider the translation of \r,
\t, \n, etc. as a specifically stated feature found in all common
unices.  Now, if we're discussing operation from the cmd.exe/command.com
shells, and since Cygwin is aware of that fact, Cygwin could double the
'\' characters it finds in the command line while setting the argv array
before spawning the program to execute.  This would prevent this natural
translation.  AFAIK, it may already try to do this and is truly a bug in
Cygwin if it doesn't; but, this may be an unimplemented feature.

Earnie.