Re: time to download

On Sat, Feb 10, 2001 at 12:58:09PM -0500, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>It certainly would be beneficial to have some way of determining
>dependencies so that a smaller set could be downloaded by those who want
>just that.

Possibly RPM would be one way to solve this but that would be a major
change for setup.exe.

Of course, even with RPM, you still have to figure out the dependencies.
I recently installed an RPM for "bind" from rawhide.redhat.com.  The
dependency wasn't set to include one of the newer, other, bind packages,
so I spent a while trying to figure out why my domain name server wasn't
working anymore.

Anyway, I really would like someone to modify setup.exe to allow either:

1) Categorization of download packages (development, user, etc.) <easy>.

2) Interpackage dependency.  <hard>

3) Batch-mode operation. <???>

Hopefully, it is obvious to everyone that improving setup.exe is very
low on the list of Red Hat priorities for Cygwin.  I did manage to swing
a certain amount of time for DJ to work on this prior to his leaving the
group but this was a one-time thing.

We've had a lot of high-quality submissions from the net for setup.exe.
I hope that someone will be willing to take on the challenge of adding
the next level of functionality to the package.

Btw, I should mention that the licensing restrictions for setup.exe are
not exactly the same as for the Cygwin DLL and other utilities.  So far,
I have not imported setup.exe into our internal tree and have kept the
program as a strictly net offering.  That means that I don't have to ask
people to sign a release.  I just need an email assurance that there
employer disclaims all ownership to whatever they are working on and
allows them to put the code into setup.exe with no strings attached.

cgf