Re: Followup on eliminating symlink ReadFile calls -- it's not necessary

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 02:39:35AM -0700, Warren Young wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>
>> I don't agree that this is FAQ material.  What is the FAQ?
>>
>>   "How do I make my file lookups faster?"
>
>No, the FAQ is, "how can I increase performance".  This would require an
>article-length answer,

I.e., something which is inappropriate for the FAQ.

>> if for no other reason
>> than this *isn't* a frequently asked question.
>
>It's infrequent because most people just quietly tolerate Cygwin's
>performance hit.  If they knew it was possible to increase its
>performance in certain circumstances, I think those same people would
>then quietly begin tuning their systems.

Yeah, lucky break for us that it isn't asked frequently.  I can imagine
that there are a lot of things that people quietly accept that they
could ask about.  However since they aren't "Frequently Asked" they
don't go into the FAQ.

>> Updating the documentation, however, is the right way to go.
>
>Maybe we're disagreeing on location and form rather than content.

I'm still waiting for someone to write this, however.

As always, people write volumes about their ideas on how things should
be but "aren't qualified" to write the actual thing themselves.

cgf