Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]: Important change to symbolic link functionali ty

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 12:14:27PM +0100, Bernard Dautrevaux wrote:
> FINE! :-))
>
> You just have me raelize that your patch not only allows Explorer to follow
> Cygwin symlinks, but also cygwin to follow Explorer shortcuts as if they
> were Cygwin symlinks!
>
> But what happens if i
>
> 	ln -s "C:/Somewhere/Something" something
>
> Do I get a DOS shortcut or a mount-table dependant cygwin symlink with a dos
> path set to "C:/Somewhere/Something"? Note that this is especially important
> if, due to the mount table setup, C:/Somewhere/Something" is NOT accessible
> using a cygwin path (because I've mounted something above "C:/Somewhere",
> e.g:
>
> 	mount C:/ /
> 	mount C:/SomewhereElse	/Somewhere

I suggest trying it. I can't answer your question out of my head
(and I'm currently bound in duty) but AFAICS the path is saved
twice with the POSIX path == DOS path == C:\Somewhere\Something.
What exactly happens then isn't in the charge of the symlink itself
but it will be treated the common way Cygwin treats DOS paths on input.

Corinna

> Anyway don't take my word for a criticism: this is a REALLY good thing to
> have some interoperability between cygwin symlinks and DOS shortcuts.

Never mind. I was way too thin-skinned yesterday ;-)

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.