Re: cygwin with sockscap32

Madhu,

Chris Faylor is one of the three MOST QUALIFIED people to comment on
problems related to or involving cygwin. Check the project home pages
and see if you see why!

I haven't been involved in the discussion, but I can easily believe that
it is _not_ cygwin's problem. And without the source code (which
apparently isn't available) there is no easy way for anyone in the
cygwin development team to analyse the problem.

Having said that it comes down to choosing the more likely scenario, and
who you trust more.

I have seen many occasions where software vendors have to release new
versions of their product when an O/S patch occurs because _they broke
the rules writing it_. Cygwin 1.1.x has the same ABI as cygwin b20. Most
ports for B20 run just fine under the current cygwin because cygwin has
been carefully kept backwarsds compatible. Occams razor suggests that
this is just another case of a corner cutting software vendor. The
sockscap made use of an unsupported API or ABI feature, and as such is
now broken.

Of course, it might be a cygwin problem, in which case...

YOU have the cygwin source. YOU are observing the problem in a closed
source product, YOU need to liase with the software vendor.

Rob