Cygwin Termcap information involving extended ascii charicters

Hello, This isn't really a bug as such.. I just wanted to know how the shell
itself interprets the ansi code for switching to and from the extended ascii
tables.. by standard its usually
    "\033[12m" and "\033[11m"
but that doesnt seem to work in cygwin... if you can tell me how it does,
will or can interpret it, I can fix the termcap info for it and submit it..
thanks for your time.