Re: Cygwin Termcap information involving extended ascii charicters

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> > Box  characters have nothing to do with extended ascii codes. They are
> > described in acsc capability in your terminfo entry. Your problem with
> > mc  arise from the fact that windows consoles have 2 modes -- ansi and
> > oem.   Original  terminfo  entry  was  written for oem mode, which was
> > default  at that time. Sometime ago cygwin have changed its default to
> > ansi   mode and it lead to problem with box characters -- in ansi mode
> > box   characters  have different codes.
> >
> > To  solve  your  problem  you  have  two   options. You can either set
> > cygwin default console mode to 'oem' by  adding    'codepage:oem'   to
> > your CYGWIN variable, or change acsc capability in terminfo entry.
> >

> Unix that I'm working on has two console terminfo's, at386 and at386-iso,
> corresponding to OEM and ANSI cases. Cygwin could take the same way and set
> TERM to two different strings depending on codepage value.
>
> In cany case, if ANSI is now default, default termcap/terminfo should
> obviously corespond to this.

Perhaps.  But the ANSI codepage does not contain all of the necessary
linedraw/box characters -- many were replaced by those "unimportant" (to
clueless Americans) accented letters.  Thus, the 'OEM' codepage is very
US-centric, but can draw pretty boxes.  The ANSI codepage is slightly
friendlier to an international crowd.

See http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2001/msg00014.html for more
discussion on character sets and codepage:oem.

--Chuck