Re: New symlinks.

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 10:40:26AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> I *really* don't think that the .lnk extension should show up when
> doing an "ls -l" as was suggested in another post.  That is just an
> open invitation to increasing mailing list traffic: "How do I get rid
> of the .lnk extension when I create symlinks????  It doesn't do this
> on Linux."
>
> I am, as always, more concerned about supporting this feature in
> the long run.  If allowing foo.lnk to be referenced explicitly causes
> even one person confusion, I don't think that it is worth it.  It
> is certainly non-UNIX behavior.

I think it's correct behaviour. Cygwin doesn't show the .lnk
suffix by itself but nevertheless, to return a `file not found'
on `ls foo.lnk' wouldn't be correct. It's simply the truth:
The file `foo.lnk' exists and is a symlink.

And FWIW, Cygwin behaves exactly as U/WIN does. I don't know if
that's an argument but it's at least discussion fodder.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.