Re: Patch submission for AltGr handling

Hi, Chris, :)

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >Per the instructions on http://www.cygwin.com/contrib.html, here is
> >the patch and ChangeLog entry for my minor changes to allow the
> >user to configure the right-side <alt> key (AltGr) to generate
> >Meta-prefixed characters as opposed to high-bit characters.  This
> >is accomplished by a new CYGWIN environment variable option:
> >'right_alt_meta'.  With this specified, AltGr generates Meta.  The
> >default case or with 'noright_alt_meta' specified is to ignore
> >AltGr in the console handler.

> Actually, I have no problems with having both ALT keys generate a
> meta.  I would rather not add to the plethora of CYGWIN options if
> we can help it.

I originally thought that this was the way to go, too, but in
researching the issue, I discovered that somewhere around B19 (I
think), the choice was made to *not* have AltGr generate Meta because
AltGr is used on international keyboards to generate the standard
shell characters, like '[]', '{}', etc., that are provided in
triple-overloaded keys.  Ah, yes, here is the description of the issue
from the changes to B19 in the FAQ:

   Alt Gr-key behavior has been changed in this release. The left
   alt-key still produces ESC-key sequence. The right alt (Alt Gr)-key
   now produces characters according to national keyboard layouts.

I think if you simply reverted AltGr to Meta again, international
users would be stuck having to make their own patches (as they did in
the past, I seem to recall reading) to generate shell characters.

If I've summarized this issue incorrectly, I hope some international
users will pipe up!

---Jason Tiller
jdtiller@best.com
Sonos