Re: strace question

Markus Hoenicka wrote:

> I tried to get a hint from strace as to where the program dies. I ran
> both the statically linked and the dynamically linked version and get
> exactly the same strace output. There is no such error popup in this
> case for the dynamically linked version and no hint in the strace
> output that the prog receives a SIGSEV signal.
>
> Does strace magically protect applications from crashing? Is this
> expected behaviour? If not, does that tell me anything about what is
> wrong with the dynamic linking?

This is an indication that you're accessing an uninitialized pointer or
a NULL pointer.

> BTW debugging this directly with gdb fails as any attempt to gain
> information at the crash point (bt and the like) just show "Cannot
> access memory at address 0x2000000".

Don't know exactly how to help you here.  Perhaps displaying both source
and assembler and setting breakpoints at the assembler level could
help.  I've had some success at finding the source point of error when
doing this.

Earnie.