"CPP" crashes my computer to hardware reset when trying to compile "test.c" -- pls help

I'm a newbie to cygwin, so please forgive me if my description of the
problem I'm having is incomplete.

Short version:

When I use the bash prompt or the DOS prompt to issue the command

gcc test.c -o test.exe

it crashes while running "cpp" on my AMD K6/266-based computer with 128
MB of RAM.

Long version:

I was interested in using Palm's GCC-based tools to compile Palm
programs.  They're based on Cygwin.  So I downloaded everything,
installed everything (including Cygwin b20.1) following very explicit
instructions (including "mount points"), and tried to compile a test
program.  Lo and behold, my computer crashed after displaying "cpp" in
the title bar of the DOS box.

I figured the problem might be Cygwin-related, so I tried to compile a
test program written in C (for DOS, not the Palm :-), and got the same
exact crash.  (Note that if the source file had syntax errors, such as
lacking the path to "stdio.h", these would be pointed out, and CPP would
quit gracefully, *without* a crash.)

So I uninstalled Cygwin b20.1 and went to the web site to get the latest
version, using the Internet-based setup program, and after it was done,
tried again.  The new version has a different directory structure and
different "mount points", but produces the same crash.

If you have any word on how to this problem, I'd be most grateful.
Please be explicit; I don't yet understand a lot of what's going on
behind the scenes.

- Andrew Heil