Re: cross compiler for Cygwin

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 03:36:14PM -0600, Mumit Khan wrote:
>On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>I wonder where people are getting the idea that Cygwin naturally
>>handles cross compilation.  This is a rather odd idea and I don't see
>>any hint of this in any of our documentation.
>
>One possible reason may be due to the fact that various embedded tools
>companies, such as RedHat/Cygnus and Wind River, use Cygwin extensively
>as the x-development platform of choice for embedded systems (one of my
>colleagues is still using cygwin b17 based embedded tools).

Maybe.  That might explain the $5000-$10000 reference.  I'd be surprised
to hear that people are cognizant of that level of detail about these
tool offerings, though.  WindRiver certainly doesn't advertise Cygwin
and Red Hat itself just calls these tools GNUpro for Windows, the last I
checked.

>The other reason you see all these messages is because most users who
>are starting out in the cross-dev area using Cygwin are usually not the
>"old hats" who've been there and done that, and running into the usual
>sea of misinformation regarding cross builds.

Um, yeah.  I wasn't wondering why people were having problems building
cross compilers.  I know that that is difficult.  I certainly never
mastered it before I started at Cygnus.

Or, maybe the misinformation you're referring to is even more basic than
"How do I build a cross-compiler?"  It does seem like a lot of people
expect to get cross-compilation out-of-the-box.

>IMO it's to Cygwin's credit that developers want to use it as the
>development platform for embedded tools, and we should certainly
>provide a helping hand (for the host-specific parts of course, not the
>target bits which has nothing to do with Cygwin).

Yep.  That's what this mailing list is for.  Helping people use Cygwin
and Cygwin tools.

cgf