Re: passwords

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 08:40:40AM +0100, Jacek Trzcinski wrote:
> Hi !
> I have just started utilizing Cygwin 1.1.8-2 under NT 4.0 workstation.
> Everything seems to work OK but
> what about network configuration. Any clients (ftp,telnet,ssh) to remote
> machines work OK. I have problems with deamons. Under session with ssh
> client,
> both with remote machine and my machine my sshd does not accept any
> password.
> Any time after typing password I get message "Permission denied, please
> try again" what should I do.

Read /usr/doc/Cygwin/openssh-2.5.1p2.README.

> How to configure ftp and telnet deamons so that connection could be
> possible.

Read /usr/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README.

and  http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html

> What password changes program passwd ? It does not change,as in Linux
> for example, user password.  As I found in sources it changes
> user network password but where is it utilized ?

It changes the password in the NT user datebase. These are used in
Cygwin as well. Therefore you don't need extra passwords in /etc/passwd.

And read http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#PASSWD

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.