protocol parameter in socket call.

I've been trying to port a ping application to cygwin that works by opening
a RAW IP Socket and passing IPPROTO_ICMP (1) as the protocol parameter and
then constructing ICMP Echo packets and sending them to the destination
host.  (In other words, The usual way of pinging.)  While this application
works just find on , AIX, Solaris, HPUX and Linux it is NOT working using
Cygwin.  Using tcpdump ( a packet sniffer ) on Linux I found out that
packets where getting sent with a protocol number of 0 rather then
IPPROTO_ICMP (1).  Looking through the Cygwin sources I found that the
cygwin_socket call takes the protocol parameter (3rd parameter) but does
NOT pass it to the windows version of the socket call.  Instead the call is
hardcoded to take a zero (0).  Does anyone know if this is intentional?

Matt Brozowski
Tavve Software Company