RE: col missing from cygwin

At 06:23 PM Monday 3/26/2001, you wrote:
>Brad,
>
>If you look in the file /usr/lib/man.conf, you will find the
>following note:
>
># Useful paths - note that COL should not be defined when
># NROFF is defined as "groff -Tascii" or "groff -Tlatin1";
># not only is it superfluous, but it actually damages the output.
>#
>
>This is the reason that the path for col is commented out. I have
>tried with col (that I compiled) and didn't see any improvement,
>so I commented out again.

Thanks Larry and Kevin for your replies.

'col' is not compiled for the cygwin binary distribution.  I don't know
what package it belongs to.

If I run
        man find >x.txt
and look at x.txt with Notepad, I get

FIND(1L)                                                 FIND(1L)

NNAAMMEE
       find - search for files in a directory hierarchy

SSYYNNOOPPSSIISS
       ffiinndd [path...] [expression]

DDEESSCCRRIIPPTTIIOONN
       This  manual page documents the GNU version of ffiinndd.  ffiinndd
<clip>

The unprintables are backspaces for enhancing the screen display of
the page.  For straight ascii text, Unix in a Nutshell recommends using
        man find | col -b
This is what I use on Unix systems.  It works well.

I was not able to find an option for 'man' that generates straight ascii text.

                                                        --Brad (tcsh)