Debugging setup.exe

I thought I'd take a look at the setup.exe source, to try and figure out why
setup crashes when you click outside of the listing of package choices.
setup seems to crash in the list_click callback function, in choose.cc.  The
function looks like this:

static LRESULT CALLBACK
list_click (HWND hwnd, BOOL dblclk, int x, int y, UINT hitCode)

It's crashing because it's passing an array index that's out of bounds.
"Sounds easy to fix" I said to myself.  However, I ran into some
strangeness.  There is a local integer 'r' declared in this callback.  Then
there is the following code in the function:

r = (y + ROW_MARGIN/2) / row_height;

if (r < 0 || r >= npackages)
  return 0;

The odd thing is, if I step through this function in GDB, the local variable
'r' will not show up in the local variable list, so I have no idea what it's
value is.  Any ideas here?

cheers,
-Matt Smith