ssh Authentication--RSA/Password

Hi Corinna and All...

I need to allow multiple users to log on to a win2k system with ssh, but I
am concerned about the security of allowing password authentication. I
understand that curently you need to get the password to the sshd host so
that the setuid can work and that this is why you use password
authentication. You mentioned that some other software would be required to
eliminate this need.

How big a job is this and how would it work?

Are you considering writing it in the future?

Is there annother way we could get the password to the sshd host?

I would be willing to type a passphrase and a password to log in. The
passphrase would allow RSA authentication; the password would allow the
setuid to work. Then I would disable password authentication in the
sshd_config file. I would then have a secure authentication without worrying
(as much) about users selecting weak passwords. I don't see any security
holes introduced by this, as the tunnel is open when we bring the password
through.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

...Karl