This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: GL/gl.h in w32api
- To: Roger Sayle <roger at metaphorics dot com>
- Subject: Re: GL/gl.h in w32api
- From: Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd at yahoo dot com>
- Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:37:39 -0400
- CC: Andre Bleau <bleau at igb dot umontreal dot ca>, Cygwin Mailing List <cygwin at cygwin dot com>, Earnie Boyd <mingw-users at lists dot sourceforge dot net>
- References: <Pine.SOL.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-To: Earnie Boyd <cygwin at cygwin dot com>, Earnie Boyd <mingw-users at lists dot sourceforge dot net>
Roger Sayle wrote:
> > > Is there any reason why the include files in the opengl package
> > > shouldn't be moved to the w32api package?
> > >
> > Yes! The opengl headers belong with the opengl package not the w32api
> > package. The maintainers of w32api don't maintain opengl and vice versa
> > so we would never be able to complete a new distribution of the w32api
> > package.
> The mainainers of w32api do maintain a significant subset of opengl,
> namely the libraries opengl32.a, libglaux.a, libglu32.a, libglut.a
> and libglut32.a. Indeed, listed in the noteworthy changes documentation
> for w32api 0.1.2 is "Added the Win32 extensions for OpenGL".
> Doesn't it seem strange that the entry points for the import libraries
> and the headers describing them are maintained in different packages.
> Microsoft include both the OpenGL headers and libraries in their WIN32
> SDK. And I'll guess that most other w32api libraries are described by
> w32api header files.
I would accept a "clean room" implementation of the Microsoft OpenGL
headers and import libraries. A clean room implementation is where you
use only related documentation to create the files. I however will not
be doing this myself.
This discussion is also pertinent to MinGW so I've cross posted.
P.S.: There is no need to include my personal email in the discussion.
I'm on both lists.
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple