Re: Login/Domains

From: "Corinna Vinschen" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 03:22:35PM -0500, CyberZombie wrote:
> > still trying to get rsa to work.  I'm now running sshd via inetd
installed
> > as service, running under user ROOT (ROOT is part of a SERVICERUNNER
group
> > w/ all the required privileges).  I'm using "ssh -2 -l root ..." to get
in
> > and it doesn't even ask for my rsa password (yes, the .pub is appended
> > the sshd authorized_keys2 file)...
>
> First I began to reply about changing user context and password
> needed but then I saw that you're trying to login as the user
> running the service.
>
> Does "root" have a correct /etc/passwd entry? Especially the home dir
> should be correct. ssh -v should give you a clue.

Root looks correct.  As part of the reinstall, mkpasswd was run -- it looks
fine.  The one change I made (changing shell to /bin/bash) doesn't affect
the outcome, and once I'm connected (via password authentication) everything
works fine.

Here's the part of "ssh -v -2 -l root ..." pertaining to authentication:

debug1: send SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST
debug1: service_accept: ssh-userauth
debug1: got SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT
debug1: authentications that can continue:
publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: next auth method to try is publickey
debug1: try pubkey: /home/K02189/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: authentications that can continue:
publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: next auth method to try is password

I double-checked and the entry in authorized_keys2 is the (generated w/
latest openssh 2 days ago) same as exists on the client.  authorized_keys2
is mode 0600.  Owner of authorized_keys2 is root:None (None is what groups
reports for root).