Re: ntsec with W2K workgroup

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 07:01:18PM +0530, venkatesh wrote:
> Hi
> Actually I have used setup.exe to install cygwin. In the /bin directory
> all the files don't have any permission bit set when I use ntsec. And
> the files have owner/group as administ/None. Without ntsec the files
> owner/group are venkates/Power Us.

So you have changed your /etc/passwd already. If not, it would
have been venkates/None.

> Most of the files I could execute in that directory but some
> applications such as man complain about troff not found etc. When i
> remove ntsec I don't have any problem. Should I set ntsec env variable
> before using setup.exe.

That doesn't have any effect. setup.exe is not a Cygwin application.

>  In my /etc/passwd and etc/group entries have
> None as group for all users. I tried changing them (like 547)also.

That's ok. None is the primary group setting on workstations and
servers outside of a domain. It's not changable in NT, except by
entering a domain! The well known local groups like `Users'
`Power Users', `Administrators' are only usable as suplementary
groups. Cygwin manages to use the settings in /etc/passwd as
if another group is your primary group when ntsec is on but
as soon as you create a file using a non-Cygwin application you
will see that it has group `None' again.

I suggest reading the ntsec chapter in the online user guide:
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.