Re: cygwin installer

> Is it possible to add a button/selection to the cygwin installer that
> allows me to update only those packages I have already installed?
> If I have only installed bash, make, diff, and binutils, then when
> I get newer versions of executables, it would be nice not to have
> to turn off (skip) 99% of the selections that show up in the installer.

This came up recently.  It would be nice if setup "remembered" that
you chose not to install package A, and default to not installing
package A next time too.  It currently does not.  I don't think an
extra button is required in that case.

I think if setup does this, the only case left you're talking about is
the case where a new package shows up on the mirrors.  I think setup
should tell you that such a package is available by default.  Even if
it defaulted to installing it, you'd only have to disable it once,
ever.

Another idea that has yet to be implemented is to break the packages
down by categories.  Another is to tag packages as being mandatory, or
if not, whether to install by default or not.

I suspect that if all these are implemented, the need to add an
"update only what is already installed" option may be less.

In any case, such work waits only for volunteers.  Setup is a pretty
small program and fairly self contained; it would be a good project
for someone to work on if they wanted to get involved.

> Select packages to install ... Prev | Curr | Exp  ...  Full/Part  ... Update

I'd hesitate to add more obscure buttons to the chooser without first
adding a "help" button that explains them all.

> Other than that, excellent work!

Thanks!