Re: ANN: JDE 2.2.7.1 available at ...

At 12:35 AM 5/24/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Is there some reason why this message keeps showing up here?  This is
>not a cygwin application, AFAIK.  Am I wrong?

There are a lot of people, including myself, who are using the JDE and
Cygwin in combination to do Java development. The JDE website recommends
Cygwin highly to JDE users and therefore serves to spread awareness of
Cygwin. (Many people coming to the JDE for the first time have never heard
of Cygwin.) The main reason I announce in this list is to catch the
attention of Cygwin users who are not aware of the JDE's existence. I
believe the announcements serve to underscore that the JDE is a tool that
is being activetly maintained and enhanced, important considerations for
people who are choosing a Java development tool.

Anyway, since you find these announcements, which are relatively rare
considering the volume of traffic on this list, obnoxious, I will no longer
announce JDE releases on this list. This is too bad because the JDE and
Cygwin together provide a powerful and FREE alternative to commercial Java
development tools, are widely used together, and therefore stand to benefit
from mutual promotion and cooperation by their developers.

- Paul