Can't uninstall Cygwin

Hello,

I am trying to uninstall and then reinstall Cygwin (on Win2K). My first
install worked, but I messed up some Cygwin files (mea culpa) and decided to
start with a fresh install. I have followed the instructions on the Cygwin
web page FAQ without success. Here is what happens.

 + I remove the shortcuts from my desktop and the Start menu (for some
reason I have to manually remove the item from the Start menu, it doesn't
show up in the list on the Advanced Tab of the 'Taskbar and Start Menu'
selection under Settings when I click on the Remove button - is this a
clue?).

 + I delete the Cygnus Solutions key from both HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER using regedit.

 + I delete all files I either downloaded or installed (I have loaded these
onto a secondary drive - F:). In fact I delete the complete trees downloaded
and installed, including setup.exe. I keep all of the Cygwin downloaded
files in F:\Development\Tools\CygwinTree (including setup.exe) and install
into F:\Development\Tools\CygwinRoot using a copy of setup downloaded from
the main Cygwin web page (http://cygwin.com/). I believe all of the
temporary files created by setup are also in this directory, but am not
sure, since the uninstall instructions doesn't say where these might be.

 + I then reboot my machine (I am running Win2K off of the C: drive).

 + I recreate the CygwinTree and CygwinRoot folders where they were
previously

 + I download the distribution to CygwinTree (the first time I tried
re-installing from the net, but because this failed, I started doing the
download and install separately). I am downloading from mirrors.rcn.net)

 + On a separate execution of setup, I install from the local directory
CygwinTree into CygwinRoot.

 + I allow setup to create a shortcut on my desktop and in the start menu.

The result of this is I get a file in CygwinTree called 20010425.tar.gz,
which appears to have most of the installed distribution. In CygwinRoot I
also get a file called 20010425.tar.gz, but it only has two text files,
setup and setup.log. When I try to launch the bash shell from the Cygwin
shortcut on the desktop (BTW, it is a generic icon, not the Cygwin icon that
appeared the first time I installed) it first says C:\20010425.tar.gz is not
accessible, then when I say OK, it starts searching for cygwin.bat. When I
look in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Cygnus
Solutions/Cygwin/Mounts V2/ there are three entries. The / entry appears OK
(F:\Development\Tools\CygwinRoot), but /usr/bin is 20010425.tar.gz/bin and
/usr/lib is 20010425.tar.gz/lib. This appears to be why the system is
looking on the C: drive for 20010425.tar.gz. Since I specified
F:\Development\Tools\CygwinRoot when setup asked me where it was too install
(however, the default was C:\cygwin), I don't know why these keys don't
specify the CygwinRoot directory.

I can give more detail if that would help. I suspect there is a bit of
detritus from a previous installation hanging around that I have not managed
to find (I did a search on files created in the last two days, but nothing
obvious shows up). I even deleted all cookies in case the download of setup
from the web was stashing something away there (I know, but I'm desparate).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dan Nessett